Are you playing the pointless comparison game in the weight room? Are you frustrated by a friend who doesn’t work out at all and has the “perfect” body, while you are strength training like a maniac and showing little results? When you notice a woman your size and shape working out with more weight than you, do you feel frustrated? Here are just a few reasons why it is pointless to compare your fitness efforts and results to anyone.
- There are roughly 3.5 billion women on the planet. A lot of them are more physically gifted than you. Some of them are not. Worrying the point does no one any good.
- Two nearly identical women can build muscle in very different areas. This has to do with genetics, life choices, environment and a number of other influences.
- When you compare yourself to others, you remove personal responsibility. You believe that no matter how hard you try, you will never look as good as “so-and-so”.
- Comparison kills your focus. Weightlifting is a science. If you employ proper form, proper nutrition and repetition, you will achieve specific results. Focus on the process, not the lady working out right next to you.
- Comparison often times leads to frustration. This is a negative emotion which can cause you to be less than dedicated in your fitness efforts.
Remember that you are a unique individual. Also, don’t forget to focus on what you can control. You have total control over what food you put into your body. You also control how you work out, how much weight you lift, and how consistent you are in your strength training program.
You can’t control how someone else looks physically, or anything that they do.
Envy looks good on no one, yourself included. Stop wishing you were like someone else. If you are one of those women who feel physically superior to other ladies, that attitude doesn’t help either. You will never achieve your maximum health and strength if you are busy considering the fitness level of anyone other than yourself.